Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Danger in Getting Your Feet Wet

I know You asked Peter why he doubted, but there was more to it than that, wasn't there? His doubt sprouted from his inability to suspend his beliefs about everything else. He "knew" how the world worked, what was and wasn't possible, what he could and could not do. He trusted the One who called him because at the moment You called him, all he saw and believed was You. But the longer the impossible remained possible, the harder it was to believe. The beliefs about how things really are crowded out the Truth. When Peter began to trust his beliefs about truth and reality more than Truth the Reality, he sank. As with Peter, my beliefs are of no importance when they run aground on You. No matter how I know You to work, how I know people to work, and how I know the world to work, when You say, "Come", I must let go of all the knowledge that would tell me that this feat is impossible and would thus keep me from coming. When You say, "Come", I have simply to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment