Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What Jesus Sees

As I sit contemplating a magnificently turbulent sunset above Moraine Park, I become somewhat saddened and angered at the myriad people driving the roads and wandering the parking lots that mar the tranquil wildness of the meadow. They're ruining this, I think. And then Jesus appears beside me, smiling deeply. "Beautiful, isn't it?" He asks. I nod halfheartedly, still vexed by the tourist plague. And then He gives His eyes over to me. The sun remains brilliant, the clouds still intricately carved, but the people are dazzling. I can't turn away. Their beauty destroys me; it's too much. Love breaks over me, a violent wave that sweeps me up and directs me where I would not dare to go. I gasp for breath, I roar for mercy; if only I could turn away. Finally, spent and defeated, I surrender. And then, for a brief but calm eternity, I experience all maximally: joy, peace, love, pain. I blink. My own sight returns, but the effects of His vision linger. Though relieved to be reunited with my impoverished normalcy, I also sense a new longing within, to see through His eyes again. It was so painful, even unbearable, but it was the antithesis of the dull agony of living my life of not-Him. It was love, complete. It was His way. It was Him. (To see the image above in more detail, go to www.imagesofrmnp.com/photo.php?id=462&gallery=morainepark)

2 comments:

  1. Wow.

    I have only on rare occasions experienced something like this. This makes me long for more.

    Erik was right (but don't tell him I said that :)) - you needed to write a blog! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely amigo! Incredible stuff! I want to read more too!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete